Skip to Content

School Resources

Military families moving to or from Naval Base Kitsap can contact the Naval Base Kitsap School Liaison to obtain information on education options including district boundaries, academics, inter-district transfer policies, graduation requirements, before and after school programs and more. The SLO works with parents and schools to ensure smooth transitions and immediate connections for military-connected students.

A complete list of all the school districts in the Naval Base Kitsap area can be found on this School Districts link. School attendance is based on residential boundaries. Attendance outside residential boundaries is covered by each district's policies. Because school attendance is tied to residential boundaries, it is recommended parents learn more on specific districts’ policies before deciding on a home. Transferring to another school in your district or to another district's school depends on the space available at the desired school, grade level, and special program.

For more information regarding transfer options, please contact your School Liaison or the school district office of residence.

Relocating Families

Information & Resources for Relocating Families

Local Schools & Educational Options

Homeschooling Information

Registering Children In New Schools


  • Kindergarten: Must be 5 years old by August 31 of year of entry
  • 1st Grade: Must be 6 years old by August 31 of year of entry

Vaccination Requirements

Smooth School Transitions for Military Children

Transition Support & Resources

High School Resources

Additional Resources

Visit the Welcome Aboard section of our website for additional relocation resources, or contact Fleet & Family Support for assistance.


Deployment Resources

Emotional Cycle of Deployment →

Resources for Kids

  • Military Kids Connect - resources for kids 6 - 8 years old, tweens 9 - 12 years old, and teens 13 - 18 years old.

Resources for Parents

Helping your child before, during, and after deployment.

Resources for providers

For teachers, counselors, medical professionals, and others.

For additional deployment resources or assistance, contact Fleet & Family Support.

504 & Special Education

504 & Special Education

The Individualized Education Plan (IEP) and the 504 Plan are legal documents between parents and the school district. When you change schools or move to a new state, you should be sure that the new school knows that your child has one of those documents. Be sure to hand-carry a copy of the plan when you are transitioning—don’t bury it in the pack-out. Your plan copy is informal, but it can help the district know right away what support your child has been receiving. The new district will request an official copy of the plan from your child’s former district.

Until a meeting is held in the new district, the former district’s IEP remains in effect. The new district will review the plan and determine if more information is needed. The district can agree to the existing special ed evaluation or can request more assessments or information.

If the district conducts a new evaluation and determines that the child is eligible for special education services, it will then prepare a draft IEP and hold a meeting with parents. Districts vary in the way that they provide services and the forms may look different.

If you have any questions or concerns about the 504 or the IEP process, please contact your Navy School Liaison.

NOTE: The Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) is a mandatory program. A Service Member with a dependent who has special medical, educational, developmental, and/or emotional needs or concerns is required to submit paperwork to EFMP. Contact your EFMP Liaison for the application packet when your first know of the dependent’s need and whenever you transition to a new location.

Information & Resources


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Can School Liaison Officers advocate in an IEP for my child?

The Navy School Liaisons can help you to be the best advocate for your child. We can provide valuable resources, meet with you to review your IEP prior to meetings and offer information, resources and help you find the right people to talk to at the school or district.

How do I choose a school?

We know the importance of choosing a school that best meets the needs of your military child(ren). Even though we are unable to make direct recommendations for schools, we are available to help you acquire information and research the schools in the area. We can provide overall information on districts as well as help you determine what schools you might be mapped to once you have a residence.

What are the health and immunization requirements?

Immunization and health check-up fact sheet for the Washington Dept. of Education can be found at Once you determine where you will live and what school your child will attend, you should also check with your school to be sure there are no additional district requirements.

What are the School Registration procedures?

This depends on what school district you are looking to enroll your child in. Contact the School Liaison at your new locale as soon as you know where you'll be going. The School Liaison can provide you with local districts' registration webpages and other resources. Find local school district websites on our School Districts page if you wish to contact the districts or schools directly for specific concerns or questions. The Checklist for School Moves helps you to prepare all necessary documents for handcarrying to the new school.

What do I do if I'm moving with a child with special needs?

The School Liaison Officer can help you with the special education navigation process. Hand carrying your child's IEP and any supporting documents is the key to a successful PCS move for children receiving special education services. Please contact your school's special education/services department for copies of these documents prior to your move, if you do not have these documents at home. Contact the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) coordinator, who will ensure you are enrolled in EFMP at your new location and have all community information and resources available.

What do I do if I'm on a housing wait list or am in temporary housing?

Most military housing areas and school districts within school boundaries of military housing are familiar with this situation. Many times this is all the schools need to proceed with registration. If you have questions or issues, please contact your School Liaison.

What is a School Liaison and how can they help me?

The School Liaison Program offers an array of services and resources to support children, parents, installation leadership, schools and the surrounding community. By working together with these stakeholders, School Liaisons build a support network to provide the best possible education experience for military-connected children and youth worldwide. School Liaisons provide School Transition Services, Deployment Support, Command, School & Community Communications, Home School Linkage & Support, Partnerships in Education, Post-Secondary Preparations and Special Needs System Navigation.

What is the Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission and what can it do for my family?

The Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission (MIC3) seeks to make transition easier for the children of military families so that they are afforded the same opportunities for educational success as other children and are not penalized or delayed in achieving their educational goals. Each state's compact is slightly different, although the main topics are the same. More information can be found at and on the Washington State Compact.



Work With Us

Join our team! Check out our current Fleet & Family Readiness job openings.


About Us

Learn more about Fleet & Family Readiness Programs and services.


Connect With Us

Question, comment or feedback on our website or programs? Connect here.



Bring your Brand to the Base and support local programs for sailors and their family members.



Moves can be stressful. We’ve gathered some important information for you to ease the transition.



Sign up for the latest news on your favorite programs, sent directly to your email.


Facility Directory

Quickly locate a facility’s locations, phone number, or hours of operation.


Register for Classes

Register online for classes, trips, activities, tee times and more using myFFR.


How Are We Doing?

Break the ICE and rate your experience at our facilities.

Back to top